Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Language Cocktailing and Malapropism

Lately i found myself to be mixing English, Malay, Mandarin, Teochew, French, Japanese, etc into a very 'deadly' and confusing cocktail of communicative offenses. It's not my fault, really! Because i am living in Malaysia and thus have friends from every etnicity. I can't help myself...

I was amazed at myself the other day when i went to the MAMAK stall for lunch...


Me: Aneh, i nak nasi goreng ayam, double...
Aneh: OK Leng cai! Duduk dulu. Minum?
Me: Tak nak, nak tapao nasi je..
Aneh: ???... Minum?
Me: Tak nak minum la aneh, nak tapao nasi.
Aneh went and talked to Aneh#2...
Aneh#2: Leng cai, kita takde jual air yang u mau la. Lain-lain air ada.
My brain: Wtf! i told you i want to tapao the goddamn fried rice! No Drink!
Me: Oh... Ok. I nak tapao air limau ais.
Aneh#2: Apa tu tapao?
My brain: Silly me, jumbling up the languages...
Me: Oh!! I nak bungkus nasi goreng ayam double dan air limau ais.
My brain: Bummer!!!


Besides that, I also misused and/or mispronouced some words, especially Malay words...


1. Bangsar Village - Kampung Bangsa
2. Pelat - Pekat
3. Hari - Hali and Kali
4. Rasa - Raseh
5. Mandat - Mantan
6. Pesawah - Pesawa
7. Facade - Visage
8. Beach - Bitch
9. Peach - Pitch
10. Apendicitis - Apenditis

Note-to-self: ALWAYS control you tongue movement when you speak and TRY not to jumble up your languages...

1 comment:

Gine said...

which mamakstall is that? It's surprising to know there are people who don't know or haven't heard of "tapao" nowadays. In fact, as the society evolves and cross-cultural interaction becomes a part of life, we tend to speak each others' languages without noticing it sometimes. And that makes us Malaysian :)